Updated June 10, 2021.
The IDARE Reading Group meets the 1st and 3rd Friday of the month at 10 am EST. All are welcome.
Inclusion, Diversity, Anti-Racism, & Equity
The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health has established an Office of Inclusion, Diversity, Anti-Racism, and Equity (IDARE) to act as a resource and support for prioritizing the cultivation of a diverse, inclusive, and nurturing environment for students, faculty, and staff.
Seminars in Environmental Justice UC Berkeley (Recordings)
A Department that values, cultivates and advocates for anti-racism, diversity, inclusivity, and equity; and promotes an environment in which every member of our community is empowered to achieve their full potential.
The IDARE Committee strives to promote anti-racism, equity and diversity. We seek to create an inclusive community that values diversity of thought, identity and affiliation within a supportive working and learning environment.
The goals of the IDARE committee are to:
• Incorporate anti-racism, equity, diversity and inclusiveness into our educational curriculum and training programs for staff and faculty;
• Provide opportunities and resources for our community to learn how to practice anti-racism, support equity, and recognize and respect diversity;
• Develop employment practices, policies, and procedures that accelerate the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce and student body; and
• Create mechanisms to review the Department’s progress toward fulfilling the IDARE vision and mission.
Each of us must take ("I will take") responsibility to learn the language associated with IDARE, to listen intently to those that share their experiences, and to do our very best to understand what their emotional response is and what it means to the person speaking with us. Each of us must do ("I will do my") our best to practice how to be anti-racial, how to deal with white fragility, to work on all issues associated with other URM (e.g. disabilities, LGBTQ+), and to truly practice professional and common courtesies.
We will be all inclusive:
• BIPOC -- Black, Indigenous Populations, People of Color
• URM -- This includes women; Native Americans; members of ethnic, racial, and religious minority groups; people with lower socioeconomic status; with disabilities; or who identify as LGBTQ+
"As a member of the EHE Department, I pledge to make our department stronger and our work more impactful by:
• acting in a way that supports diversity and inclusivity and honors individual differences;
• practicing anti-racism;
• using language that promotes inclusivity and anti-racism; and
• listening carefully to, and respecting, the views of others.”
Once you have read this pledge and accept it, please say it out loud to yourself, your spouse/partner, children or a good friend. And then please practice it.